Re: on changing perl's behavior

From:
Christian Walde
Date:
April 7, 2021 15:31
Re: on changing perl's behavior
Message ID:
op.01hj2xq7ydyjqt@xenbox.cihq
On Wed, 07 Apr 2021 15:26:55 +0200, Nicholas Clark <nick@ccl4.org> wrote:

> So the point that I'd like to make is that there are *some* things that
> might be removed to simplify the internals and reduce the support burden,
> but *most* existing things don't get in the way, at least at runtime.

Thanks for adding more detail. I really appreciate that effort to provide tangible evidence for this. :)

A small addendum:

I think it's fine to change the defaults in these cases:

1. when the behavior is a security risk
2. when the behavior is outright broken and subverts expectations and optimally also documentation
3. when actually finding examples of anybody using the behavior is nearly impossible

I think your examples all fall under 3.?

Outside of that, when a huge win can be demonstrated, stuff should be removed, but then i'd prefer it be done by way of deprecating that specific dialect.

--
With regards,
Christian Walde