=?utf-8?Q?Perl=E2=80=99s_?=leaky bucket

From:
neilb
Date:
April 7, 2021 07:21
Subject:
=?utf-8?Q?Perl=E2=80=99s_?=leaky bucket
Message ID:
7fcbfb84-3019-4684-ac7b-f884ed9f0723@Spark
One model that Rik introduced into our discussions, which I’ve found useful, is to think of the Perl user base as a leaky bucket.

Here’s how it applies to Perl:

• There’s already water in our bucket. That’s the existing user base.
• There’s a hole in the bottom of our bucket, which lets water out. This is people leaving perl.
• Water comes in the top. This is either people returning to Perl, or new people trying it out.
• At the moment I think we’re all agreed that Perl has been in decline for some while: the leak is faster than replenishment.

This model is often used in marketing, where companies think about retention of existing customers and acquisition of new ones. Depending on where you are in your growth cycle, you might focus on one end of the bucket over the other. In the boom years, you’re focussed on acquisition.

But when in decline, the priority should be to reduce the outflow from the bucket. I.e. our focus should be on not losing our existing users, and then on acquiring new ones.

I wanted to post this separately, and establish this as part of our vocabulary, before the next thing I want to send.

Neil