Re: on changing perl's behavior

From:
Darren Duncan
Date:
April 5, 2021 00:38
Re: on changing perl's behavior
Message ID:
4d48909d-dda2-f52e-e7f1-c4331d53b5f9@darrenduncan.net
On 2021-04-03 8:07 p.m., Ricardo Signes wrote:
> I think that item 7, above, is (in part!) built on this concern.  "Users are
> never going to go back and add one of our big omnibus feature bundles.

The solution here is the same as with many other things, users do it gradually.

When users are going back to old code, they start by doing what would be a
minimal delta for them, and move forward small steps at a time, rather than
jumping to the end all at once.

So that means for example, all files without a "use vX;" add the boilerplate
"use 5.0;", and they make sure everything works, and then they iterate, 5.2,
5.4, and so on, up to whatever interpreter version they're using.

So that way, it isn't an omnibus at all, because each next X only added very few
things over the previous X, and the devs familiarize with and test with each X
value one at a time, and they move up as they're comfortable.

I don't see why this process can't be a very effective solution.

-- Darren Duncan