PSC #14 minutes, 2021-03-02

From:
Ricardo Signes
Date:
April 4, 2021 21:42
Subject:
PSC #14 minutes, 2021-03-02
Message ID:
0c417edd-c205-4392-a5db-f21d524f849f@beta.fastmail.com
These are notes from the 14th scheduled Perl Steering Council call.  Neil, Sawyer, and I were in attendance.

*ParseXS:  *We began with a quick discussion of ExtUtils::ParseXS, which came up last week as needing a new CPAN release cut.  Ben Bullock volunteered to do so, if nobody else stepped up.  Nobody else has, so I've informed Ben that the honors are his.

*trim:  *We had a quick review of the wrap-up thread <https://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/2021/03/msg259615.html>. We’ll wait another week to see what other opinions are shared, but so far it’s looking like we’ll add two trim functions and also kick off a time-boxed review of text processing features in other languages.

*perl 5.34:*  Hey, we're about two months away from our planned ship date for perl v5.34.0.  We wanted to make sure that things are on track.  We had a look at the list of potential blockers <https://github.com/Perl/perl5/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3Aaffects-5.34>, and think things are largely under control.  We'll want to revisit a few things (like that sort-in-place question) after 5.34 ships.

*the future of Perl:*  In addition to this regularly scheduled call, we had a few unscheduled calls this week to talk about changing defaults, the ongoing discussion on p5p, and what courses of action we can agree on to improve perl without overly inconveniencing the people we want to serve.

One way of summarizing the opinions at play is like this:
 * "use vX" is advice we can safely give people to move their code toward what we consider to be the best set of behaviors without affecting code that isn't touched
 * "use vX" not useful, because even "use v5.32" has too many complex effects; people don't put it in their code now, and they're not going to start as long as it turns on features they don't understand
There isn't any compromise position that seems to answer the concerns of all three of us at once.  We've spent a bunch of time discussing it and will continue to do so.

--
rjbs