Re: [DISCUSS] The future of mod_perl

From:
Steve Hay via perl5-porters
Date:
March 31, 2021 08:12
Re: [DISCUSS] The future of mod_perl
Message ID:
CADED=K4_Fm05AY-JpzoJ1QweitHRtjjmAEF+59vDOpMF71+J1A@mail.gmail.com
On Wed, 31 Mar 2021 at 07:37, Yuki Kimoto <kimoto.yuki@gmail.com> wrote:

> >If you are interested in seeing mod_perl remain an active project, and are able to help
> maintain and provide oversight, please respond in this thread indicating that you are
> interested in performing the duties of a PMC member[2].
>
> Who are the current valid PMC members and how many are missing?

See https://projects.apache.org/committee.html?perl

I've seen responses from Adam, Fred and Philippe (and obviously
myself), and also Philip and Perrin in a previous role call, although
the latter two declared themselves no longer active.

So it seems like we have enough active PMC members to survive,
although actual activity is somewhat lacking: I've still not found
anyone to test the obvious "fix" for the current build-breaking change
in the upcoming perl 5.34.0 on *nix (see
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r515522504d5245f83488c096832419950d6d6e93e9ff11f55055953e%40%3Cdev.perl.apache.org%3E).

I'm proposing to disable a piece of code that no longer compiles,
without knowing what it was trying to do... :-/ On Windows it still
builds and passes tests as expected, but there may be some other
problem that I've not uncovered yet and/or it may not work at all on
*nix, where we have different MPMs and threading options.

Any help on testing this from people who would like to see mod_perl
survive would be greatly appreciated.