Re: Perl 7: Fix string leaks?

From:
Dan Book
Date:
March 30, 2021 22:31
Re: Perl 7: Fix string leaks?
Message ID:
CABMkAVVD5Pxj_obEUyRjCS7B6q0sVog_LE1R-NOB3gni_uMxOQ@mail.gmail.com
On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 4:48 PM Salvador FandiƱo <sfandino@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> No solution is trivial or evident, and would have required
> investigation from the developer. So, I would expect most people did find
> about 2 and used it.
> >
> > A lot of XS modules use SvPV without checking SvUTF8. Alas.
>
> Yes, and almost all of them are broken!

Technically yes, but practically is a different matter. Such modules (1)
accidentally work correctly sometimes, and (2) work correctly always on
ascii-only input. Fixing this wholesale, as in most instances of this bug,
won't affect (2) but it will cause (1) to go from "sometimes broken" to
"always broken".

-Dan