Re: on changing perl's behavior

From:
B. Estrade
Date:
March 30, 2021 14:29
Re: on changing perl's behavior
Message ID:
2fb6baeb-7a8b-1e84-baef-70ef3d0e07e0@cpanel.net

On 3/30/21 7:17 AM, Paul "LeoNerd" Evans wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Mar 2021 08:53:20 +0200
> "H.Merijn Brand" <perl5@tux.freedom.nl> wrote:
>
>> I think I am more into perl than an average user, but this happens to
>> me too. BUT ...
>>
>> Having to deal with (a lot) of systems that do not have everything
>> installed (by default) on systems that I need to work on, I am by now
>> used to do man/perldoc/whatever on my home box in a new xterm instead
>> of on the target machine.
>>
>> There are just too many reasons why some tools are not available on
>> machines you work on: disk space, install speed, build deps, whatever.
>
> Another small +1 from me here. I'm perfectly happy with the perl vs.
> perl-doc split. I quite like it - it means my small utility machines I
> build on compact flash cards don't need to waste that disk space on
> manpages we don't need there. If I want docs I can easily install them
> - the placeholder `perldoc` binary explains it well enough.

Sure, again; fair enough. Let's not lose my original point. It had
nothing to do with docker (or maybe it does also) or documentation
specifically. It was a suggestion to have a community maintained summary
of various operating systems/programming environments and if/how 'perl'
is provided - mainly to see how consistently it is done.

Today I will like put up or shut up in the form of a git repo or gh wiki
page; if it's valuable info, some may help maintain it or file
issues/PRs that its out of date. If not, then not. But I will at least
start it. Thank you!

Cheers,
Brett