Re: on changing perl's behavior

From:
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans
Date:
March 30, 2021 12:39
Re: on changing perl's behavior
Message ID:
20210330133910.529d0446@shy.leonerd.org.uk
On Tue, 30 Mar 2021 11:40:36 +0200
"Christian Walde" <walde.christian@gmail.com> wrote:

> I want future Perls to be as bold as possible. I want Perl v7 to
> change as much as it humanly can. I want it to be brutal, a sledge
> hammer. I want it to include every possible default change we can
> remotely justify. I want it to change so much as to get close to
> being a new language as the major version bump indicates.
>
> And these aren't thoughts i had on my own, they're condensations of
> thoughts others had that i agree with.
>
> However, without versioning it can't and in fact the existing
> proposed plans for unversioned default changes are extremely careful
> and conservative and in fact do very little at all. Not remotely
> enough to justify a major version bump. Maybe even to the point that
> it would be bad PR and in invitation of mockery if Perl bumped a
> major version with so few and small changes.

+1 to all of this.

I want to introduce lots of new exiting things, all gated by that
single line `use v7`. The more and exciting the features, the more
likely people are to use them, and the less likely we are to be laughed
off the face of hackernews/reddit/etc.. for "is that all you've got?"
of a lackluster, mediocre bump of just "default strict+warnings+say" or
whatever we otherwise do.

At that point we are *so* strongly encouraging any new code to be
written with `use v7` that there is really little to gain by changing
the semantics of any code without it, that we'd be better off leaving
that alone and retaining compatibility of every existing perl script
and CPAN module that currently still works with 5.32.

--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans