Re: on changing perl's behavior

From:
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans
Date:
March 30, 2021 12:17
Re: on changing perl's behavior
Message ID:
20210330131732.061fcb4c@shy.leonerd.org.uk
On Tue, 30 Mar 2021 08:53:20 +0200
"H.Merijn Brand" <perl5@tux.freedom.nl> wrote:

> I think I am more into perl than an average user, but this happens to
> me too. BUT ...
>
> Having to deal with (a lot) of systems that do not have everything
> installed (by default) on systems that I need to work on, I am by now
> used to do man/perldoc/whatever on my home box in a new xterm instead
> of on the target machine.
>
> There are just too many reasons why some tools are not available on
> machines you work on: disk space, install speed, build deps, whatever.

Another small +1 from me here. I'm perfectly happy with the perl vs.
perl-doc split. I quite like it - it means my small utility machines I
build on compact flash cards don't need to waste that disk space on
manpages we don't need there. If I want docs I can easily install them
- the placeholder `perldoc` binary explains it well enough.

--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans