Re: on changing perl's behavior

From:
Christian Walde
Date:
March 30, 2021 09:46
Re: on changing perl's behavior
Message ID:
op.002ar7quydyjqt@xenbox.cihq
On Tue, 30 Mar 2021 11:37:41 +0200, Alexander Hartmaier <alex.hartmaier@gmail.com> wrote:

> Handling it that way was also my idea when reading through lots of the current email.
> Raku has its version syntax for exactly that reason and they currently support 6c, 6d and what will eventually >become 6e.
> As it is quite young they haven't had the need to remove the support for 6c but that might happen sometimes in >the future.

Big mood. You love to see it.

> What do you think about a dumbed down Perl 5 variant for system scripts, oneliners, etc. that is used when no >version is specified in a package and which will be supported longer (I don't dare to write 'forever')?
Something like this?

"Perl v13 includes the tarball for Perl v12.8 and installs it as /usr/bin/perl5-legacy which you can choose to use if you know your code needs that?"

Could work. But that's about the only way i can think of for that, as due to dynamic loading you can't decide before runtime if using "dumbed down variant" is possible, unless you have metadata of some kind, even if it's just "bob said so".

--
With regards,
Christian Walde