Re: on changing perl's behavior

From:
Christian Walde
Date:
March 30, 2021 09:22
Re: on changing perl's behavior
Message ID:
op.0019nicfydyjqt@xenbox.cihq
On Tue, 30 Mar 2021 05:07:37 +0200, Ricardo Signes <perl.p5p@rjbs.manxome.org> wrote:

> 3. a feature that changes "undetectable" runtime behavior (like unicode_strings) — >detecting the change is possible, but fairly pointless
> Of these, I think the truth is probably that it's the third category that would be the >most beneficial to fix, both for new users and core maintainers.

I've been wanting to comment something like this, which in my mind coalesces to:

Defaults should only be changed in terms of critical bugfixes or bugfixes that can be applied with very little harm.

This primarily means situations where security considerations are involved (most every maintainer will bow to a CVE), or situations where most of the time the code does what most users want, but occasionally does something most users won't want (thinking unmatched braces).

--
With regards,
Christian Walde