Re: on changing perl's behavior Perl 5 Porters<perl5-porters@perl.org>

From:
=?UTF-8?Q?Salvador_Fandi=c3=b1o?=
Date:
March 30, 2021 09:18
Re: on changing perl's behavior Perl 5 Porters<perl5-porters@perl.org>
Message ID:
0f59b9c4-66a5-a397-793b-e3f31119cae1@gmail.com
On 30/3/21 5:07, Ricardo Signes wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 27, 2021, at 4:49 PM, Ricardo Signes wrote:

> I think it's something like this:
>
> *People writing new code *get benefits from writing "no boilerplate"
> code.  They just start writing, they don't need to remember the correct
> invocation, and the documentation shipped with their Perl is written for
> the common case being "you are using default Perl, so we never need to
> show any governing pragmas."  Of course, "don't have to remember the
> invocation" begs the question.  Did they have to before?  No, but the
> invocations get them:  typo protection, catching probable (or possible)
> errors, using the most-likely (says me) encoding for their source
> document, and turning on features that they're likely going to want.  A
> lot of it is footgun removal.

IMO, the "no boilerplate" is an illusion. You need to tell the computer
in some way or another with language version you want.

Look at the migration from Python2 to Python3: If you had been placed in
front of a random computer in the last decade and asked to run some
Python program, first thing you would have to do is to check the version
of Python required by the program, and then invoke that version explicitly.

Actually, my experience has been that even in front of any of my own
computers, I would have to check which Python version to use every time
because of the way Debian and derivatives have managed the transition
(/usr/bin/python could be pointing to either python2 or python3).

If you think of the programmer as somebody on a completely controlled
environment, with just Perl 7 available and writing software just for
himself, you are considering a very constrained reality.

Maybe the changes between Python 2 and 3 were bigger than those planed
between Perl 5 and 7, and maybe perl5 would be able to run Perl 7
programs unmodified... In any case, I believe that is something that
must be taken into account.