Re: on changing perl's behavior

From:
H.Merijn Brand
Date:
March 30, 2021 06:53
Re: on changing perl's behavior
Message ID:
20210330085320.1832e394@pc09.procura.nl
On Mon, 29 Mar 2021 19:11:21 -0500, "B. Estrade" <brett@cpanel.net>
wrote:

> In this specific case, this happens to me, every time:
>
> 1. docker run -it ubuntu sh
>
> [note: just checked /usr/bin/perl is there for both ubuntu:latest,
> debian:latest, and debian:stretch-slim 'out of box'; perldoc is not.
> alpine (just as another example requires the 'apk add perl' to start;
> but perldoc is there as expected after `perl` is installed; anyway...]
>
> 2. /me starts coding, oops! how do I use Getopts::Long again?
> 3. perldoc Getopts::Long
> 4. ubuntu: "boooomp! wrong gotta install perl-doc package" (how I
>    take it, not what it actually says)
> 5. /me (head hits desk), whimpers something about why is so

I think I am more into perl than an average user, but this happens to
me too. BUT ...

Having to deal with (a lot) of systems that do not have everything
installed (by default) on systems that I need to work on, I am by now
used to do man/perldoc/whatever on my home box in a new xterm instead
of on the target machine.

There are just too many reasons why some tools are not available on
machines you work on: disk space, install speed, build deps, whatever.

I see no reason to install manual pages and help/info stuff inside a
docker. I really don't, unless it is part of the *goal* for that
docker: a help application or the like.

However I sympathize with your /headdesk, the world has moved on and
new working environments made new criteria and requirements. If a
system starts 40 docker images with microservices, I (with my sysadmin
hat on) really appreciate that those images are lean and mean, start
swiftly and don't take tons of diskspace that are unlikely to be ever
used.

Likewise for a file missing on a target system. The way package
managers are unable to tell me what I should install to get the
file/functionality I require, and the overly complicated combination of
options sometimes needed makes me go to a system where that file *is*
installed and just ask 'rpm -qf /path/to/file' and I have the answer I
need. (replace with package manger of choice syntax, but you get the
drift).

Do not expect a docker to have all your heart desires. Ever.

Just my view (being someone why has the opinion that docker is overused
in many situations).

--
H.Merijn Brand  https://tux.nl   Perl Monger   http://amsterdam.pm.org/
using perl5.00307 .. 5.33        porting perl5 on HP-UX, AIX, and Linux