Re: on changing perl's behavior

From:
Dan Book
Date:
March 28, 2021 18:08
Re: on changing perl's behavior
Message ID:
CABMkAVVWJhKTq9L7459UC2Nf0x3+JRHFNVeUOZnYR=-EUYm2YQ@mail.gmail.com
On Sat, Mar 27, 2021 at 5:11 PM Dan Book <grinnz@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 27, 2021 at 4:49 PM Ricardo Signes <perl.p5p@rjbs.manxome.org>
> wrote:
>
>> So I think, after saying all this, the first big question is:  Is there a
>> general agreement that there are kinds of changes we've made (or will make)
>> to the language that we can ease into making the default, through some
>> multi-step process?  We may need to hash out individual changes' paths
>> forward, but if there is an overwhelming opposition to changing these sorts
>> of defaults *at all*, then I think a lot of this conversation has to be
>> entirely reconsidered.
>>

> I am not opposed to considering what a path may be for a specific feature,
> but I do not believe it is worth the cost for any of the currently existing
> features.

I also would expand on this sentiment aside from the specific features
we're considering via the "Optimizing for New" and "A New Culture" sections
in my blog post "Perl 7 By Default":
http://blogs.perl.org/users/grinnz/2020/08/perl-7-by-default.html

TLDR: I think of course we *can* but in the specific cases we are talking
about we *should not*.

-Dan