Re: on changing perl's behavior

From:
Christian Walde
Date:
March 28, 2021 15:45
Re: on changing perl's behavior
Message ID:
op.00y118g2ydyjqt@xenbox.cihq
On Sat, 27 Mar 2021 23:27:26 +0100, <neilb@neilb.org> wrote:

> Christian,
>
> While there are specific points in your email I’d like to respond to, the bigger issue is your tone and language.
>
> That is not how members of a community talk to each other. Please acknowledge that and apologise to Rik, and >the list.
>
> Neil

Yesterday i was using GMail for hardware migration reasons and as such, a reply i sent to this wasn't sent public but private. I'll reprise it now.

I apologize to Rik and the list for "whatever the fuck". That part was out of line.

The rest may not have been spoken calmly, but i did not insult or disrespect anyone. This is however in the face of people opposing the strict-by-default plan having repeatedly been at the receiving end of denigrations, insults, and (worse) this:

Calm but unkind behavior. (Regardless of whether the person being unkind knows they're being so.)

I won't throw other people in front of the wolves here because they have received enough insults already, but i am not remotely alone in thinking this and in fact i only consciously realized this from their words.

Neil thought my email indicated i am angry because i am not being heard. I sincerely and honestly couldn't care less about being heard. What i am asking for has been asked by many. This is not about me. The problem is that there is information that is not being communicated, leading to a situation of fear and uncertainty.

Fear that decisions are being made without full knowledge.

Uncertainty as to how to speak persuasively given: The recipients may hold either of two diametrically opposed positions; or completely unknown ones; and are in positions of power.

There is information that is missing, and has been missing since last summer. In order to decouple the explanations in this email from the questions at hand, i will state the questions on their own thread so them and their answers can live on their own merits.

We can't speak to you usefully if you won't tell us openly and clearly what you think. We can only guess and pray. I don't want to have fight. I want to move forward with effectiveness and confidence that can only be born from having accurate information.

Maybe the other thread will provide illumination.

--
With regards,
Christian Walde