Re: Let's talk about trim() so more

From:
B. Estrade
Date:
March 27, 2021 22:22
Re: Let's talk about trim() so more
Message ID:
dc5702ca-f93d-8977-c270-bdd01b3871ab@cpanel.net

On 3/27/21 7:34 AM, Paul "LeoNerd" Evans wrote:
> Without wishing to respond to the specifics of the details this thread
> is throwing up, I want to make a meta-observation.
>
> There seems to be a lot more people replying on this email thread who
> seem to care about higher principles of language design, than were ever
> present on the original github discussions about the feature:
>
>    https://github.com/Perl/perl5/issues/17952
>
> I would like to ask: Where were you all earlier? Why didn't you respond
> there before we'd written it?
>
> This isn't trying to come across as an accusation - it's a genuine
> question. If all of this discussion had happened much earlier over
> there we probably wouldn't be in the awkward situation we are now. It
> is annoying that it is happening so late.

As for myself, I can say that I've only very recently "re-engaged".
Also, as Darren Duncan noted, having clearly delineated and well
spirited "discussion" threads might also have something to do with it.

Also for me, email is a much better medium for discussion that GH. I did
read the comments there on this PR; but mainly because we were invited
to do so.

If the positive atmosphere can be maintained, and I think it can be.
you'll probably see a lot more in the future.

Brett