Re: PSC #012 2012-03-26

From:
Darren Duncan
Date:
March 27, 2021 05:02
Re: PSC #012 2012-03-26
Message ID:
53bda9fa-5209-54e5-4d37-aa8831bbd41a@darrenduncan.net
On 2021-03-26 2:21 p.m., neilb@neilb.org wrote:
> the future of perl
>
> Firstly, we'd like to be clear: we do not want to fork perl, or CPAN, and we
> want the latest stable release of perl to always be a candidate for /usr/bin/perl.
>
> Rather than talk about the plan as a whole, we're going to initiate p5p
> discussion on individual aspects of the proposal, so that each can be discussed
> in isolation. If there's agreement, we'll move on to the next point. Where there
> isn't consensus, we'll dig into to determine what exactly people disagree with,
> and why. Hopefully we can work through the individual points and gradually make
> our way through the proposed plan. This will be a stream of separate threads on
> p5p over the next week or so, starting with an email from Rik to set context.
>
> Once we've done that, the PSC will create the next draft of the proposal. This
> will be shared with the core team, so we can have a constructive dialogue on it,
> and hopefully we'll get to a point where we can share an updated draft with p5p.

This comes across to me as great news, and is what I think a lot of people were
wanting.  Having actual community-based public planning/discussion on p5p.  And
doing it properly with separate design decisions in different threads that can
be decided independently, rather than discussing some omnibus bill.  And the
desire to not want to fork Perl.  This is all good. -- Darren Duncan