Re: PSC #012 2012-03-26

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
March 26, 2021 21:38
Re: PSC #012 2012-03-26
Message ID:
20210326213829.GX16703@etla.org
On Fri, Mar 26, 2021 at 09:21:13PM +0000, neilb@neilb.org wrote:

> Firstly, we'd like to be clear: we do not want to fork perl, or CPAN, and we want the latest stable release of perl to always be a candidate for /usr/bin/perl.

and *I think*, but please confirm that I do not misunderstand/misrepresent:

Zeroeth

  0a) the shared concern is the long term steady decline in the Perl userbase
      (which I believe is the consensus observation of all reading this
      message)

  0b) and the assumption that in the long run this decline is unsustainable
      for Perl (widely held, maybe not quite unanimous)

  0c) so the entire discussion is about what actions could/should be taken
      to change this path

  0d) and the risk/reward trade off they involve
      (*this* is the cause of the heat - it's very hard to judge, and
       different people weigh different factors differently)

Where everyone seems to be completely disagreeing, but it's really mostly
about 0c and 0d, despite it seeming to be about everything.

(including and up to whether socials should be on the first Thursday of
the month, or the Thursday following the first Wednesday, and other
trivia. We keep forgetting that we have more in common that we disagree on.)

Nicholas Clark