PSC #012 2012-03-26

From:
neilb
Date:
March 26, 2021 21:21
Subject:
PSC #012 2012-03-26
Message ID:
2fd799fd-2efc-423c-ad09-c839c2c00ce8@Spark

trim

We reviewed the discussion to date and the various options floated. Most of the discussion, recently at least, has been on github. We would like to invite input from p5p, so agreed that Neil will email a summary to p5p and ask people, particularly core team members, to share their opinion. We'll make a decision after engaging with the feedback.

the future of perl

Our intention had been to share the proposed plan with the core for initial feedback, and then to publish a refined plan to p5p for broader input. That didn't work out. As a result we haven't engaged on the specifics, to find where there is common ground, and drill in where there isn't. So we're going to try a different approach.

Firstly, we'd like to be clear: we do not want to fork perl, or CPAN, and we want the latest stable release of perl to always be a candidate for /usr/bin/perl.

Rather than talk about the plan as a whole, we're going to initiate p5p discussion on individual aspects of the proposal, so that each can be discussed in isolation. If there's agreement, we'll move on to the next point. Where there isn't consensus, we'll dig into to determine what exactly people disagree with, and why. Hopefully we can work through the individual points and gradually make our way through the proposed plan. This will be a stream of separate threads on p5p over the next week or so, starting with an email from Rik to set context.

Once we've done that, the PSC will create the next draft of the proposal. This will be shared with the core team, so we can have a constructive dialogue on it, and hopefully we'll get to a point where we can share an updated draft with p5p.

In the meantime, we've stopped sharing the proposal document.

Neil, Sawyer, Rik