Re: [DISCUSS] The future of mod_perl

From:
B. Estrade
Date:
March 26, 2021 18:11
Re: [DISCUSS] The future of mod_perl
Message ID:
be2ab0ff-adf2-bfaf-71cf-1b5c6a2e6598@cpanel.net

On 3/25/21 11:11 PM, Darren Duncan wrote:
> On 2021-03-25 2:57 p.m., Dave Rolsky wrote:
>> I believe the reason the discussion started is simply that the Apache
>> Software Foundation has someone (or a committee?) who makes sure that
>> projects aren't dead. If they are dead they have a process to move
>> them to what they call the "Attic". My interpretation of ASF policy is
>> that totally stable project with no active development would be moved
>> to the Attic.
>
> This raises the question, if mod_perl is "stable", and it is moved to
> the Attic, then do ongoing developments of Httpd etc continue to get
> tested with things in the Attic to ensure say some Httpd update doesn't
> break compatibility with an Attic mod_perl?  A stable mod_perl in Attic
> is fine as long as updates to Httpd or Perl etc don't break it, or a
> security problem isn't discovered. -- Darren Duncan

Thank you for the clarification, Dave. I agree with Darren that perhaps
the situation of the move to Attic is not as dire as it may seem. There
are also well defined procedural steps that can be taken to get projects
out of Attic if there was a need or sudden surge of activity around
mod_perl.

Brett