Re: [DISCUSS] The future of mod_perl

From:
Dave Rolsky
Date:
March 25, 2021 21:57
Re: [DISCUSS] The future of mod_perl
Message ID:
CAHKw1M+H2b=4d34Lpaboh8HyDccJ71R8nhXVbbX10AmqokH3Jw@mail.gmail.com
On Thu, Mar 25, 2021 at 2:34 AM B. Estrade <brett@cpanel.net> wrote:

> The discussion on the ASF list for mod_perl indicates that it is
> mod_perl, not mod_perl2; since they differentiate between by seeing the
> subject of adjacent threads. So idk.

I don't think that's correct. the "mod_perl project" is the Apache project
that works on the mod_perl codebase. That project released the 2.0.0
release in May of 2005. The most recent release in the 2.x series was
2.0.11 in 2019. Meanwhile, there have been a few additional 1.x releases
after 2.0.0, the last of which was 1.31 in 2009.

I can't find any official documentation of this, but I'm pretty sure the
1.x series was considered EOL soon after the 1.31 release.

The discussion on the list was in the context of the Apache Software
Foundation, not a specific version of the codebase that the project works
on. In the ASF context, the project is just "mod_perl", not "mod_perl 1"
and "mod_perl 2". If you look at the list of Apache projects at
https://www.apache.org/index.html#projects-list you'll see just one "Perl"
project which links to the one mod_perl website. That website in turn has
information about the 1.x and 2.x codebases.

I believe the reason the discussion started is simply that the Apache
Software Foundation has someone (or a committee?) who makes sure that
projects aren't dead. If they are dead they have a process to move them to
what they call the "Attic". My interpretation of ASF policy is that totally
stable project with no active development would be moved to the Attic.

Cheers,

Dave Rolsky
http://blog.urth.org
https://github.com/autarch