Re: RFC / POC - more than 32 features

From:
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans
Date:
March 24, 2021 15:30
Re: RFC / POC - more than 32 features
Message ID:
20210324153034.471c3952@shy.leonerd.org.uk
On Wed, 24 Mar 2021 10:54:42 +1100
Tony Cook <tony@develop-help.com> wrote:

> The limit on 32-bit features isn't hard, it was mostly laziness (it
> doesn't need to be done right now) and hubris (I can fix it later), my
> intent was always to re-work it to support more feature bits when it
> was needed.
>
> At this point we're not close to hitting the limit.

In a weird roundabout way, I wonder if imposing a limit of at most
32 features up in the air at any one time is actually a good thing.

It means that when we're getting close to that limit, we should start
looking for really old stable feature-flags that in practice we can now
just hardcode to on and remove them as feature bits.

Otherwise, I could imagine a world in which there are potentially
hundreds of feature bits that everyone - from core maintainers to
learner programmers - has to keep in their head, as any of them could
potentially alter the rules for anything at any time.

It may be wise to keep an upper bound on that possible set.

--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans