Re: [DISCUSS] The future of mod_perl

From:
B. Estrade
Date:
March 22, 2021 22:56
Re: [DISCUSS] The future of mod_perl
Message ID:
a9abb64d-76ff-df86-1d8f-69a203da8ae2@cpanel.net

On 3/22/21 4:32 PM, Todd Rinaldo wrote:
> I don't really feel like this is commentary on Perl at all. For me, this
> is a commentary on mod_perl which most people now have better tools to
> run perl in a web server. I tip my hat to mod_perl. It did an amazing
> job for its time. I we should thank all the people who kept it going and
> then focus our time on the Perl frameworks that we love and actively use.

You can't separate mod_perl from any talk about Apache. It is to Apache
httpd, what Dancer2 or Mojo are to PSGI (or, starman, in the flesh). So
it's probably more an indication of an existential crisis of Apache
httpd's than anything else. Idk, seems like this is just about mod_perl
and not mod_perl2?

> Put another way: Would we be discussing having TPF revive Maypole if
> someone declared the project to be dead? For me the answer would be no
> because there are other active projects in the space that do a similar job.

ASF also has this "Attic" thing for dead projects, but there are
bureaucratic rules regarding its placement there.

https://attic.apache.org/

So there are *usable* procedures for putting, preventing, and also
moving out a project from the Attic. Anyone interested in preserving
mod_perl should consult it and contact the folks on the mailing list
that seem to be willing to help keep it up.

https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/perl-modperl/

Coupled with the apparent interest there and here, seems like a
semi-organized effort can avoid banishment to the Attic - or at least
break it out if unsuccessful.

Brett