Re: Fwd: [DISCUSS] The future of mod_perl

From:
Petr Pisar
Date:
March 22, 2021 17:15
Re: Fwd: [DISCUSS] The future of mod_perl
Message ID:
slrns5hk5j.og3.ppisar@dhcp-0-146.brq.redhat.com
On 2021-03-19, Dean Hamstead <dean@fragfest.com.au> wrote:
> - Whilst using it for your application is out of vogue, mod_perl exposes
> all sorts of the internals of apache to perl, its still great for custom
> logging, custom aaa, even custom protocols if youre inclined.

And at the same time it exposes Perl internals to Apache httpd
process. Any bug in mod_perl, perl, or any Perl code can affect httpd
program. That's not a good practice from security point of view.

> - We don't seem to have good signal as to how widely mod_perl is used
> and for what. Debian's popcon may give us some indication, but given
> CentOS is the most popular OS for perl it's indicative only. This is
> something the marketing committee should tackle but i mention it here as
> part of a wider problem of low signal

Speaking about CentOS, CentOS does not contain mod_perl. The last CentOS
version with mod_perl was CentOS 6 which is now beyond its end of life.

If somebody talks about mod_perl and CentOS, he uses mod_perl from EPEL
project which clearly demonstrates that mod_perl cannot pass its own
test suite
<https://koschei.fedoraproject.org/package/mod_perl?collection=epel8>.
and that it randomly crashes at run-time
<https://bugzilla.redhat.com/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&component=mod_perl&list_id=11762795&product=Fedora%20EPEL&query_format=advanced>.
mod_perl's bugtracker is also full of these reports
<https://rt.cpan.org/Public/Dist/Display.html?Name=mod_perl>.

mod_perl was a nice piece of technology in 90's. Nowdays with
multihreaded everything it shows its rust and unreliability.

-- Petr