Re: Fwd: [DISCUSS] The future of mod_perl

From:
Dean Hamstead
Date:
March 19, 2021 19:26
Re: Fwd: [DISCUSS] The future of mod_perl
Message ID:
677f858291a412a22acf847350436d63@fragfest.com.au
There has been some discussion about this in #marketing on TPF slack.

Some points i would like to share, pasted and tweaked.

- In my view is that mod_perl is still a key part of the ecosystem and
if it becomes unmaintained it will be the signal to decision makers to
retire whatever perl code is still in use, especially non strategic
code.

- Whilst using it for your application is out of vogue, mod_perl exposes
all sorts of the internals of apache to perl, its still great for custom
logging, custom aaa, even custom protocols if youre inclined.

- We don't seem to have good signal as to how widely mod_perl is used
and for what. Debian's popcon may give us some indication, but given
CentOS is the most popular OS for perl it's indicative only. This is
something the marketing committee should tackle but i mention it here as
part of a wider problem of low signal

- To me it seems like a good opportunity for TPF to take on a key
project and start to develop the model of supporting more than one perl
related initiative. Either by taking it from apache or by working with
apache to fundraise and put human resources on to it

Dean