PSC #10 - 2021-03-12

From:
Ricardo Signes
Date:
March 12, 2021 17:13
Subject:
PSC #10 - 2021-03-12
Message ID:
262dff0e-75f2-4b8a-be40-ade23037c113@dogfood.fastmail.com
Short notes from today's call, all of which will become longer emails:

Neil and Sawyer and I had a call this morning, as we have been doing Fridays for, well, ten weeks now.  (Actually, nine, I think.  We doubled up at least once.)  For the past few weeks, we've primarily been discussing "Perl 7", which has been something of a placeholder for "how much of the state of Perl can we agree on, and then in what direction do we all agree we can push?"  Neil has been doing great work at taking our conversations, fleshing them out, and writing down both what we know and what we seem to agree on.  Thanks, Neil!

You should expect him to send one of these documents this weekend, and another in about a week, as we finalize some of our thinking.  While these do not constitute a final decision on everything going on, they represent a common set of positions that we hold and that we think show where we think we can go next.  This will surely lead to some on-list discussion and refinement, but I now feel like we're in sync, at the starting line, and ready to get to work.

On a smaller-scale note, we also discussed trim(), one of the features that has been in the wings for a while.  We had easy and unanimous agreement about it, and I'll be posting about that in a separate email.

I think that as we get out this "here's our plan" and refine it a bit based on having more eyes on it, these reports can more reliably be "notes on bullet points all well established as simple action items."  We'll see!

--
rjbs