PSC #009 2021-03-05

From:
Neil Bowers via perl5-porters
Date:
March 8, 2021 19:49
Subject:
PSC #009 2021-03-05
Message ID:
4275a6fb-c09d-4a72-b51c-d9cf86e73ee6@Spark
We briefly discussed Scott Baker's trim() proposal (https://github.com/Perl/perl5/issues/17952), and agreed that we'd each read up on it, and if it's not resolved by next Friday, we'd make a decision in next week's PSC meeting. This gives p5p one more week to comment on it. We also mentioned that we need to get to try/catch and Corinna, but want to do that in the context of a Perl 7 plan.

The last 3 weeks we've had discussions about Perl 7, pushing each other on perceptions of where we are, the challenges facing Perl, and ways forward. This week we started on a list of facts, then worked through various opinions and ideas, building up a set of things we agreed on. We outlined some goals, and then a strategy and plan for how to get there. After a couple of hard weeks, it felt like we made good progress.

We're going to work on writing this up in more detail, and when we're happy that we're aligned on the details as well as the outline, we'll share that. In the meantime we'll share some of the things that got us to this point.