Re: PSC #008 2021-02-26

From:
Yuki Kimoto
Date:
March 8, 2021 00:17
Re: PSC #008 2021-02-26
Message ID:
CAExogxNrBYXj_VZJxrKVyAZaVWh5x=To+guXOuzzY2Q03sE_VQ@mail.gmail.com
* One major problem discussed is not knowing how much code breaks.
Another is that breakages over a short period create an impression of
a fragile language and can erode trust.

What I feel is that Perl currently has a lot of conservative users.

Users who like new things are discovering Python, Ruby, PHP, JavaScript

If more than 10 years were spent migrating to Perl 7(I can imagine that it
will happen with a high probability)

Users will feel that Perl 6 has happened again.

Discuss about  breaking backwards compatibility that we can migrate
smoothly in a short period of time(For example, within five years).