PSC #008 2021-02-26

From:
Sawyer X
Date:
March 3, 2021 14:51
Subject:
PSC #008 2021-02-26
Message ID:
CAMvkq_TnkRM5wGj6r9CJvsjw3+nZxnacnxOEjN=-daDaPy5Z_g@mail.gmail.com
We held our eighth meeting of the Perl Steering Council (PSC) on
Friday the 26th, 2021.

Attending: Neil, Ricardo, and Sawyer.

Our primary topic was Perl 7.

* Preliminary work was done to map different users and uses of Perl,
which we then discussed.

* We discussed defaults as analogous to features. Any breaking change
should justify a feature big enough. Do defaults count? Who do they
serve, and what does the lack of recommended defaults cost? What are
the trade-offs for these users and their use cases?

* We reviewed problems with Perl 7 (changing defaults, providing new
features, removing unrecommended syntax, etc.) and considered the
possible options.

* One major problem discussed is not knowing how much code breaks.
Another is that breakages over a short period create an impression of
a fragile language and can erode trust.

* Other points of discussion were values versus strategy. Values are
important, but they are not a strategy, and the topic of Perl 7 raised
the lack of a roadmap for the Perl language.

* Perl 7, as a concept, can also work without changing the version
number but would be harder to accomplish.

Our next meeting will work on converging on the topics we agree on and
trying to draw what Perl 7 would look like in practice to evaluate its
ability to work.