Re: rt.cpan.org next steps

From:
Ricardo Signes
Date:
February 19, 2021 17:45
Re: rt.cpan.org next steps
Message ID:
8eba00bb-50f4-4b2c-9b01-a96a0cca4d5a@beta.fastmail.com
On Fri, Jan 29, 2021, at 8:15 PM, Ricardo Signes wrote:
> We'll keep you posted.

Since the announcement of the upcoming closure of rt.cpan.org, we've looked at what could, should, or must be done to keep it available in one form or another.  After looking at a few options, The Perl Foundation has voted to contract Best Practical to take over the hosting of the CPAN RT instance.  Starting immediately, they will be porting the data to their hosting, upgrading the RT instance to the latest version, and adapting the custom RT plugins and code that make rt.cpan.org go.

This work is expected to take until some time during March.  With the current RT install going dark on March 1, this means that there may be an extended downtime at the beginning of the month.  We will keep the page at rt.cpan.org up to date with the progress of the project.  When the upgrade is complete, we have a commitment for three years of hosting from Best Practical.  If future changes are likely or needed, we'll post them well in advance.

--
rjbs, on behalf of TPF