Re: De-experimentalising "signatures"

From:
Dave Mitchell
Date:
February 15, 2021 17:05
Re: De-experimentalising "signatures"
Message ID:
20210215170519.GO11043@iabyn.com
On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 01:26:43PM +0000, Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker wrote:
> Even if this were to happen in the next release cycle, I think it should
> be done as a separate feature (possibly a default-enabled feature one
> can opt out of, like multidimensional and indirect). Even though the
> signatures feature is still experimental, lots of people have started
> using it due to the exceptionally long time it's been stable (as in not
> changing, even if not officially declared such).

I don't like that at all. Also, It would be be hard to efficiently support
both options - the signature processing ops would have to handle
retrieving code from either the stack of @_. Also there are a bunch of
edge cases if @_ is visible: what happens if code is executed halfway through
processing signatures (such as constraints) which modifies @_? Is this
seen by later parameters? When we optimise things are default expressions
then skipped? Etc etc. It becomes a bit of a can of worms.

--
This email is confidential, and now that you have read it you are legally
obliged to shoot yourself. Or shoot a lawyer, if you prefer. If you have