Re: De-experimentalising "signatures"

From:
ilmari
Date:
February 15, 2021 13:36
Re: De-experimentalising "signatures"
Message ID:
87a6s5797w.fsf@wibble.ilmari.org
Dave Mitchell <davem@iabyn.com> writes:

> I have pushed for keeping them experimental because I want to change
> things so that @_ isn't populated in signatured subs (or more precisely @_
> isn't localised and is still the @_ of the caller), and that breaks
> backwards compatibility. It's also dependent on other new signature
> features being added which do away with needing access to @_.

Even if this were to happen in the next release cycle, I think it should
be done as a separate feature (possibly a default-enabled feature one
can opt out of, like multidimensional and indirect). Even though the
signatures feature is still experimental, lots of people have started
using it due to the exceptionally long time it's been stable (as in not
changing, even if not officially declared such).

> But I'm not currently in a good enough head space to commit to working on
> signatures. I'm finding it difficult even to keep up with p5p emails, let
> alone do any new work.

This year has been hard on us all, and nobody should feel bad about not
being able to contribute as much as they'd like, or feel they're obliged
to contribute more.

However, I think that makes it even more important that we don't let the
lack of these prospective features block related work by people who do
have the energy.

- ilmari
--
"The surreality of the universe tends towards a maximum" -- Skud's Law
"Never formulate a law or axiom that you're not prepared to live with