Re: De-experimentalising "signatures"

From:
Chris Prather
Date:
February 7, 2021 22:51
Re: De-experimentalising "signatures"
Message ID:
DB538F9B-809A-45F8-936D-93887D4B5FDE@prather.org

> On Feb 7, 2021, at 3:53 PM, Darren Duncan <darren@darrenduncan.net> wrote:
> A key promise of Cor, built-in optional strong typing, is such that this is what I'm looking forward to in Perl more than any other planned feature.

I’m fairly certain that this isn’t the case. I’ve been in the #cor channel since Curtis created it and tried to pay attention to the wiki as he updated it. Nothing in that suggests he considers strong types a major feature requirement for the project.

Additionally, Paul has the  most comprehensive implementation of Cor’s design principles. Object::Pad is afaict the closest thing to a Proof of Concept for Cor at the moment. I would assume he would have considered that before starting this thread.

The fact is that Types in Perl are gonna be very a unique design challenge. Perl has a very interesting view of operator defined typing and it took me years to realize how different that would be. I don’t think we should slow down a popular feature that people have been using for several years now for of a design feature that isn’t really a part of a project that hasn’t even exited the design stage fully.

-Chris