Windows VMs for core development

From:
Dave Rolsky
Date:
February 6, 2021 17:18
Subject:
Windows VMs for core development
Message ID:
CAHKw1MK3XdFJKtOsZNQJyknFAd7eBGZeLUOGGQJUYo-DXUnC2A@mail.gmail.com
Hi all,

As part of my work with TPF's Infrastructure Working Group, I'm looking
into setting up some infrastructure to provide Windows VMs for people to
develop on as needed. This would use a cloud service like Azure or AWS.

The first thing I'd need to know for this is exactly what sort of VMs
people like access to. Specifically, I have a number of questions:

   - What sort of hardware (CPU type, cores, memory) would people want? I'm
   not sure how much we need to decide this in advance, since presumably any
   image we make can run on multiple instance types.
   - What versions of Windows do people want access to? Note that this will
   probably be somewhat limited, since it can only be versions supported by
   cloud services, so probably not Windows Server 2000, for example.
   - What software would we need to put on the images? Also, would it be
   better to have one "everything" image with multiple compilers (gcc _and_
   Visual Studio), or would it be better to have multiple images with
   different smaller sets of tools.
   - Are there any other requirements?

Once I have an idea of this I can look into making some images and figuring
out access controls, and how we can make sure to shut down idle VMs so we
don't waste money (though we expect to be getting some sort of nonprofit
credit, it probably won't be unlimited).

Cheers,

Dave Rolsky
http://blog.urth.org
https://github.com/autarch