Re: Windows Support - Drop EOLed Versions.

From:
Dan Book
Date:
February 2, 2021 00:10
Re: Windows Support - Drop EOLed Versions.
Message ID:
CABMkAVW750ma1dreZkGMqqogDi3NVthS67Jm7oPc++Sw5nK0fA@mail.gmail.com
On Thu, Oct 8, 2020 at 10:00 AM Chase Whitener <cwhitener@gmail.com> wrote:

> Windows 2000 EOLed in July of 2010.
> Windows Home Server EOLed in January 2013.
> Windows XP EOLed in April of 2014.
> Windows Server 2003 EOLed in July of 2015.
> Windows Home Server 2011 EOLed in April of 2016.
> Windows Vista EOLed in April of 2017.
> Windows Server 2008 (and R2) EOLed in January of 2020.
> Windows 7 EOLed in January of 2020.
>
> This leaves Windows 8, Windows server 2012, and Windows 10 still being
> currently supported by Microsoft.
>
> I'd like to propose that we officially and formally drop any and all
> support for Windows Vista and older. Granted, this would leave Windows
> Server 2008 and Windows 7 supported even though they're EOLed, but
> they've only just been EOLed.
>
> This would significantly reduce complexity necessary for patches for
> Windows and make future additions simpler.

FYI I opened https://github.com/Perl/perl5/issues/18521 to collect
discussion on a slightly simpler proposal (I believe Vista-era platforms
are significantly simpler to support but could certainly be amended to
include them or do that as another step if warranted).

-Dan