develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from January 2021

Re: Perl 5.34.0 *will be released* in May

From:
Darren Duncan
Date:
January 25, 2021 02:49
Re: Perl 5.34.0 *will be released* in May
Message ID:
1f10d2f8-06ab-2c72-0764-04764ca0f3b9@darrenduncan.net
On 2021-01-24 6:05 p.m., Ricardo Signes wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 24, 2021, at 6:42 PM, Darren Duncan wrote:
>> On 2021-01-24 3:51 a.m., Sawyer X wrote:
>> > While Perl 7 is still on the docket for the Perl Steering Council (PSC), Perl
>> > 5.34 will definitely be released and made available on May 20th[1].
>>
>> As far as I'm concerned, the priority feature for 5.34 should be setting things
>> up at the front end to smooth the transition to Perl 7 that follows it.
>
> My take: I don't think the specifics of any possible Perl 7 release are
> sufficiently set in stone that this could be a non-contentious action before Feb 20.

That's not a problem for the core of my proposal.

So then this isn't about Perl 7 specifically.

Rather, my core proposal has 2 main parts:

1. Make the behavior of an explicit "use 5.34;" include certain best practices
that used to be their own pragmas including stuff like use strict, use warnings,
use feature say, no indirect methods, and so on.  This change would have no
effect on code that either lacks a use-version or that has an older one.  The
new inclusions would just stick to non-contentious stuff and would not include
anything considered experimental.

2. Perl 5.34 would include anything that is reasonable to include in advance to
help smooth the transition to Perl 7 such that nothing too specific and nothing
contentious about Perl 7 is included.

-- Darren Duncan