develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from January 2021

Re: Perl 5.34.0 *will be released* in May

From:
Darren Duncan
Date:
January 24, 2021 23:42
Re: Perl 5.34.0 *will be released* in May
Message ID:
4c514919-62bb-5249-ebe2-32fbf032ef72@darrenduncan.net
On 2021-01-24 3:51 a.m., Sawyer X wrote:
> While Perl 7 is still on the docket for the Perl Steering Council (PSC), Perl
> 5.34 will definitely be released and made available on May 20th[1].

As far as I'm concerned, the priority feature for 5.34 should be setting things
up at the front end to smooth the transition to Perl 7 that follows it.

A key example is that an explicit "use 5.34;" will provide the same semantics
that would be implicit with Perl 7 later where those would break programs
lacking a "use" line.

So just as "use 5.12;" or whatever already turns on strict, a "use 5.34;" should
turn on strict and warnings, and also activate "say" or any other
non-experimental syntactic features or semantics we conceptually want to have on
by default, so then "use 5.34;" while being boilerplate is very terse compared
to the boilerplate to get the same behaviour under previous Perls.

Another example, Perl 5.34 should issue warnings when compiling/running
something whose behavior may change under Perl 7, such as any file-based code
lacking an explicit "use" line AND that also would fail strict or uses indirect
method call syntax or whatever; some of these warnings might be opt-in rather
than default with a command-line switch or such.

-- Darren Duncan