develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from January 2021

Re: Adding a try/catch syntax to Perl

From:
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans
Date:
January 23, 2021 15:00
Re: Adding a try/catch syntax to Perl
Message ID:
20210123150029.11c45c68@shy.leonerd.org.uk
On Sat, 23 Jan 2021 14:31:18 +0000
Philip R Brenan <philiprbrenan@gmail.com> wrote:

> One of the many advantages of the *fail* syntax:
>
> { A...} *fail* {B ....}  *fail* {C ....} *fail* { {D ....}  *fail* {E
> ....} }
<snip>...

You are continuing to describe a design quite apart from that which has
been created time and time again, both in many other languages, and
within Perl as either pureperl or syntax modules:

  https://metacpan.org/pod/Try
  https://metacpan.org/pod/Nice::Try
  https://metacpan.org/pod/Try::Tiny
  https://metacpan.org/pod/Try::Catch
  https://metacpan.org/pod/Try::Harder
  https://metacpan.org/pod/Syntax::Feature::Try
  https://metacpan.org/pod/Syntax::Keyword::Try
  et.al.

I have designed this core feature based on the massively overwhelming
precedent given by all those modules, which everyone seems to be
creating and using. Of the above list, Try::Tiny alone has 1,255
reverse dependencies (that is, other modules which depend on it). I
think that is sufficient to say this particular design is popular.

By all means feel free to pursue your `fail` idea - there is no doubt
room for multiple different ways to do things in Perl, after all.

I just observe that the people demand a try{}-shaped cake, so I shall
let them eat it.

--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans