develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from January 2021

Re: Perl Steering Council, meeting #003, 2020-01-15

From:
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans
Date:
January 17, 2021 16:12
Re: Perl Steering Council, meeting #003, 2020-01-15
Message ID:
20210117161209.1d719101@shy.leonerd.org.uk
On Sun, 17 Jan 2021 11:22:20 +0100
Sawyer X <xsawyerx@gmail.com> wrote:

> At this meeting, we discussed emails we received about additional
> syntax to the language and Perl 7. Our official position is that we
> are interested in advanced capabilities added to the language but
> cannot commit to a specific design or implementation. At the moment,
> Perl 7 is one of our urgent upcoming topics.
>
> We also informed The Perl Foundation that I (Sawyer) would continue
> the current TPF maintenance grants. The Steering Council will assign a
> grant manager for future maintenance grants based on member capacity.
>
> Our most significant discussion this recent meeting was about our
> guidelines for changes to the language. There are considerations of
> security, stability, and innovation. Our interest is in clarifying
> this and providing the tools for all of us (the Steering Council, the
> Perl Core, and the Porters as a whole) to discuss proposed changes. We
> are currently working on a framework for these conversations and will
> continue the conversation in future meetings.

That all sounds exciting stuff.

On that overall theme of language additions, I have an upcoming talk at
FOSDEM where I will be proposing a whole collection of ideas. This is
loosely based on a recent blog post article I wrote

  https://leonerds-code.blogspot.com/2020/12/2020-perl-advent-calendar-day-25.html

I'm finishing off the prerecorded part of the video today in fact. It
will become public during the conference itself on 6th Feb, but I could
arrange a preview of that before then for the steering council, to
avoid surprises.

Overall there'll be several ideas in this talk which I think could be
used as testing points for whatever the new process for discussing and
adding new features becomes. As I've said before, I'm keen to ensure
that such a process exists. :)

--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans