develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2020

From:
Christian Walde
Date:
November 26, 2020 12:22
op.0uovarhbydyjqt@xenwide.vpn.udag.de
On Thu, 26 Nov 2020 12:43:01 +0100, Vlado Keselj <vlado@dnlp.ca> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am new to the list so I am not sure if this counts for much, but I would
> be in support of making "trim" a keyword.
>
> Perl is a string-oriented language and it should be simple and transparent
> to use functions like "trim", which made keywords already in other
> languages, like PHP.  Yes, we can use regexes but they do look hairy for
> such a simple use.  This would be an important benefit to the beginners.
> If 'chomp' is there, why 'trim' would not be.  One possible dowside may be
> backcompatibility.  It would be worth checking how much and how 'trim' has
> already been used in CPAN.

Thanks for the support. :)

As for the numbers checking, i already did that here:

> And looking at CPAN:
>https://grep.metacpan.org/search?q=%5C%5E%5C%5Cs%5C%2B%5B%5E%5C0%5D%2B%5C%5Cs%5C%2B%5C%24%7C%5C%5Cs%5C%2B%5C%24%5B%5E%5C0%5D%2B%5C%5E%5C%5Cs%5C%2B&qd=&qft=
>1050 distributions and 1659 files implement some kind of regex-based whitespace stripping, and while this function isn't aimed at CPAN, this demonstrates a clear desire.
>For a (not at all equal, but related) comparison, searching for uses of say:
>https://grep.metacpan.org/search?q=%5Cbsay%5B+%28%5D&qd=&qft=
>results in 914 dists.

That said, backporting is not a big concern for this one, as trim is primarily aimed at non-CPAN developers for their own code, as trim is more likely to be used in end user code, not library code. :)

It would also be a small marketing win alongside of the other benefits of it being a proof-of-concept and learning aid for adding functionality to Perl.