develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2020

From:
Vlado Keselj
Date:
November 26, 2020 12:14
alpine.LFD.2.20.2011260732240.6825@tr
Hi,

I am new to the list so I am not sure if this counts for much, but I would
be in support of making "trim" a keyword.

Perl is a string-oriented language and it should be simple and transparent
to use functions like "trim", which made keywords already in other
languages, like PHP.  Yes, we can use regexes but they do look hairy for
such a simple use.  This would be an important benefit to the beginners.
If 'chomp' is there, why 'trim' would not be.  One possible dowside may be
backcompatibility.  It would be worth checking how much and how 'trim' has
already been used in CPAN.

My $.02 :)

Regards,
Vlado