develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2020

From:
Dan Book
Date:
November 26, 2020 05:11
CABMkAVU_4mWJWwba1XdMpCL57LdYujMdoLf7JBpi1S+XheQR6w@mail.gmail.com
On Wed, Nov 25, 2020 at 11:10 PM Konovalov, Vadim <Vadim.Konovalov@dell.com>
wrote:

> You’ve made incorrect assumption.
>
> You’re seeking for “$a =~ s/^\s+//; $a =~ s/\s+$//;” in CPAN modules and
> conclude that all this users want trim function.
>

> I use such regexps often but I do not want trim to be in global space.
>

> IMO introducing some tiny things like ‘say’ or ‘trim’ is not moving
> forward.
>
> Moving forward is introducing Set()  object into the core language (like
> Julia do).

Of course not everyone wants a builtin trim function. Also not everyone
doesn't, as evidenced by this feature request existing. This is a
non-argument.

-Dan