develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2020

RE: Looking for someone to adopt adding trim() to core

From:
Konovalov, Vadim
Date:
November 26, 2020 04:10
RE: Looking for someone to adopt adding trim() to core
Message ID:
DM5PR1901MB21996F87A670AC93F8AE08ED8AF90@DM5PR1901MB2199.namprd19.prod.outlook.com
You’ve made incorrect assumption.
You’re seeking for “$a =~ s/^\s+//; $a =~ s/\s+$//;” in CPAN modules and conclude that all this users want trim function.

I use such regexps often but I do not want trim to be in global space.

IMO introducing some tiny things like ‘say’ or ‘trim’ is not moving forward.
Moving forward is introducing Set()  object into the core language (like Julia do).

Regards,
Vadim

From: Christian Walde <walde.christian@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 25, 2020 1:35 PM
To: Yuki Kimoto; Konovalov, Vadim
Cc: Karen Etheridge; Paul LeoNerd Evans; demerphq; Dan Book; Scott Baker; Perl5 Porters
Subject: Re: Looking for someone to adopt adding trim() to core

On Wed, 25 Nov 2020 11:18:36 +0100, Konovalov, Vadim <Vadim.Konovalov@dell.com<mailto:Vadim.Konovalov@dell.com>> wrote:
I am against trim going directly to main package, but no problem for me into separate package

Also I do not see why you’re insisting that trim is going to be used often.
No, it isn’t!

I already explained elsewhere in this thread why Yves' concerns do not apply to trim specifically and why the suggestion of redress is problematic as well as what questions are open about it. As such your opinion is noted, but does not add anything new whatsoever.

Further, just going "No, it isn’t!" without providing any arguments adds nothing to the conversation either.

I provided multi-disciplinary evidence that people desire the functionality in this and other languages to a degree comparable to `say`. If you don't understand it, feel free to ask questions, but invalidating it via "no u"?

That ain't it, chief.