develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2020

From:
Yuki Kimoto
Date:
November 25, 2020 23:33
CAExogxN-EpzsJNAmMGAk3isJ2n6ZOECnrR7vhKhnYfc4F9saeQ@mail.gmail.com
> To give some concrete numbers, this (quickly googled) blog post indicates
trim is the #13 php function in many open source projects

I understand how often it is used in PHP.

If Perl is used in web development, I feel it will be similar in frequency.

Not as often as say, but quite high.

By the way,

I think trim has several use cases.

- first blanks of ASCII
- last blanks of ASCII
- first and last blanks of ASCII
- first blanks of Unicode
- last blanks of Unicode
- first and last blanks of Unicode

Personally, I think it's a good idea to add six functions in other
namespace.

If we want to trim easily without writing regular expressions or argument
options, it's a good idea to have multiple functions.

What reason is only one trim feature is the best?

As a Perl user, I don't want to split functions like this, so I feel like
I'm using regular expressions.

On the other hand, regular expressions cannot be searched, and I think
functions are kind because beginners can search by search engines.