develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2020

From:
Sam Kington
Date:
November 19, 2020 03:26
9C71ADDC-B1DB-4533-96D6-8FFFBF857C98@illuminated.co.uk
I think I now understand what the point of Perl 7 is.

In Perl 7+, you say use feature “trim” (or specify a version of perl that includes that feature) and you get a native trim feature.

In earlier Perls, if you have control of your environment, you either use a version of Scalar::Util (or whatever) that implements the exact same trim() function, or you roll your own by saying s/^\s+//g; s/\s+$//g in a module of your choosing and export that into the caller’s namespace.

If you’re writing code for the CPAN where you don’t get to say what modules people have installed, you say s/^\s+//g; s/\s+$//g; unless someone has written String::Trim::Tiny and you think that’s a reasonable dependency, and you can use that in your code.

I was on the fence about this, but I’m now happy to see trim() in the next version of Perl, as an example of how we can add stuff to the core and learn from that and, next time, add more interesting things.