develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2020

From:
Christian Walde
Date:
November 18, 2020 20:10
op.0uankzq0ydyjqt@xenwide.vpn.udag.de
On Fri, 13 Nov 2020 19:35:50 +0100, Paul "LeoNerd" Evans <leonerd@leonerd.org.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Nov 2020 09:29:19 -0800
> Karen Etheridge <perl@froods.org> wrote:
>
>> Well, that's a good point -- IMO we should add reftype too, and
>> blessed, refaddr and weaken also.
>> (And can we add trim() to Scalar::Util for availability in earlier
>> perl versions?)
>
> +1 to all of that :)
>
> (really; I'd love for those to become real core builtins)

I agree, i'd also like to see all of those in perl core, and the parenthetical note makes sense.

I also have some further comments, in addition to my earlier email replying to Corwin Brust, which primarily points out that trim is aimed at USERS, not at CPAN:

The examples brought up (utf8, re, Tie, etc.) are as far as i can tell weird things and not "basic helper functions".

Then an agreement is mentioned, without any reference to where, whom, when and a link to the actual contents of it.

And, to repeat this again: Due to the very nature of what trim is, backporting is a complete non-concern for trim.

--
With regards,
Christian Walde