develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2020

From:
L A Walsh
Date:
November 18, 2020 08:16
5FB4D3B9.9020204@tlinx.org
On 2020/11/05 10:09, Scott Baker wrote:

> Team:
>
> I lack the time and expertise to complete the PR I started
> <https://github.com/Perl/perl5/pull/17999> to add `trim()` to core.

---
    To be clear, what is 'trim' supposed to do in perl?

    When I do a 'man trim', I see what looks like a trim in the
textutil::trim, but it looks like it might be related to Tcl?

    Either way, does it take 1 or 2 params, like shown for
textutil::trim:

  trim "string", Regexp;

Where to trim whitespace, you might have:

  trim "string", m{\s};

But in trim, it shows related trim functions:
     trim::trim{left,right,Prefix,EmptyHeading}

Does trim, by itself, only trim the <??> at beginning or end or both?
Is it intended to take a Regex, or is it only used to trim spaces, or
what is the intended functionality?

If it deletes before + after, would that imply a need (at least)
for right+left trims?

I looked at your link, but didn't intended functionality.

Should I assume the trim there is of the same variety?

    ::textutil::trim::trim string ?regexp?
      Remove in string any leading and trailing substring according to
      the  regular  expression  regexp  and return the result as a new
      string.

Does that imply variations on the function might also be needed?

Sorry, I'm guessing there is some standard definition and maybe I accidently
hit on it, but just trying to make sure.

Thanks!