develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2020

RE: Looking for someone to adopt adding trim() to core

From:
Konovalov, Vadim
Date:
November 11, 2020 16:34
RE: Looking for someone to adopt adding trim() to core
Message ID:
MN2PR19MB4032127E93F5D4E9F5B6FFE88AE80@MN2PR19MB4032.namprd19.prod.outlook.com
Absolutely agree.
Please add my voice to the pool, and count it carefully.

-----Original Message-----
From: demerphq
Sent: Wednesday, November 11, 2020 6:02 PM
To: Scott Baker
Cc: Perl5 Porters
Subject: Re: Looking for someone to adopt adding trim() to core

Why does it need to be added to the language as a new keyword? You
could add it via universal.c to the SCALAR namespace (for example) and
have it accessible without any feature horribleness. I believe we have
already approved that such namespaces are acceptable. And additions to
them do not need any feature bodge and are trivially made backwards
compatible.

print SCALAR::trim($str);

I vote "no" to this as a feature. But I am fine with it being in core
via universal.c and the right namespace.

cheers,
yves