develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from September 2020

Re: Dead global variables?

From:
bulk88
Date:
September 15, 2020 17:44
Re: Dead global variables?
Message ID:
20200915174430.17507.qmail@lists-nntp.develooper.com
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 23:58:54 -0500
> Todd Rinaldo <toddr@cpanel.net> wrote:
>
>> I may have this wrong so I'm asking.
>>
>> I can find nothing referring to PL_revision, PL_version, or
>> PL_subversion anywhere in perl or CPAN. I don't think there are
>> circumstances where you can reference them as
>> revsion/version/subversion. Does this mean they are unused and could
>> be removed?
>
> It sounds like they're probably dead and could be removed then.
>
> But I would suggest not doing so yet, as they're hardly in the way of
> anything currently. We should keep the giant "bump version to 7"
> changes as small as technically possible, so if things do break it will
> be easier to unpick why. We can remove those dead variables later on
> when the 7 part is settled.

The vars should be kept. You have to know what perl.so or /bin/perl is
running for XS module reasons, my XS handshake code does the check in a
nearly static CPP way, but there might be other 1 off "what libperl.so
is this?" code written by a dev who can't figure out which perl is
running by what web server on what container and he doesn't have strace.