develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from September 2020

update on perl governance

From:
Ricardo Signes
Date:
September 6, 2020 18:03
Subject:
update on perl governance
Message ID:
114ed99d-d5de-4058-917e-3ff82074f6cd@www.fastmail.com
A while back, I wrote an update about what was going on behind the scenes <https://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/2020/08/msg258177.html>.  In it, I said that we wanted to be able to present a clear "this is how perl is being run" document, and that we were working on it.  That has been going on, and now I want to give a very brief update.

There had been several sets of seemingly interested parties:  the perl-core list (which was, itself, most derived from attendees of the "Perl Core Hackathons"), fiveperl, and the committers to perl5.git.  We added all these people to the existing, private Google group and discussed next steps.  Agreed upon next steps included moving to a publicly archived list and deciding a means by which the perl language is to be managed in some defined, sustainable way.

This has begun and is still underway.  The group now discussing things <https://perl.topicbox.com/groups/gov-begin> is a temporary one, which will set up a new governance body and then will, itself, dissolve.  I am hesitant to provide any predicted time frame in which that will happen, but you can see what it's up to, and I'll post occasional updates when anything happens.

In the mean time, as Saywer said, blead is open for business <https://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/2020/08/msg258329.html>.  You should continue to work as usual, we'll see another release in two weeks, and I hope to have a couple commits in it myself!

Here's the full list of participants in the governance boot-up process: Aaron Crane, Abhijit Menon-Sen, Andy Dougherty, Artur Bergman, Ask Bjørn Hansen, brian d foy, Chad Granum, Chip Salzenberg, Chris Williams, Craig Berry, Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker, Dave Mitchell, David Golden, Dominic Hargreaves, Gisle Aas, Graham Barr, H. Merijn Brand, Hugo van der Sanden, James E Keenan, Jan Dubois, Jesse Vincent, John Lightsey, Karen Etheridge, Karl Williamson, Leon Brocard, Leon Timmermans, Marcus Holland-Moritz, Matthew Horsfall, Max Maischein, Nicholas Clark, Nicolas R., Paul LeoNerd Evans, Philippe Bruhat, Rafael Garcia-Suarez, Ricardo Signes, Robert Spier, Sawyer X, Slaven Rezic, Steffen Mueller, Steve M. Hay, Steve Peters, Stuart Mackintosh, Tim Bunce, Todd Rinaldo, Tony Cook, Yves Orton

--
rjbs